Wednesdays at the Square is the best thing ever. It’s a music, craft and food festival, held every Wednesday evening downtown in Lafayette Square.
Things I love about Wednesdays at the Square:
1. Everyone is there. Young professionals, bohemian types, moms, dads, kids, babies, dogs, old folks – absolutely everyone! Some people set up blankets and chairs and some roam around the whole time – just like Jazz Fest.
2. The weather is almost always spectacular – it starts out a little cool in early April (I had on a light sweater and hoodie tonight) and ends steamy and hot in June.
3. The food is delicious – you can eat there and not have to make dinner! You can eat something different every week – tonight I had creole rib tacos and coconut mango rice – chosen because the line was shorter- but they were delicious!
4. The music is unbelievably good. This is New Orleans, after all. And people are dancing and moving and happy. Tonight: Soul Rebels and Trombone Shorty. AMAZING!!!
5. It’s every single Wednesday in spring. What a way to brighten up the middle of the week!
6. I always see someone I know who I haven’t seen in a while – it’s like a big spring reunion.
7. It’s free!
8. They now have bicycle valet parking – how cool is that? We didn’t do it this week because we didn’t know about it. Maybe we’ll try it next week.
9. I love watching the light change on the stage and the tall buildings from light to darkness. The afternoon and evening light is golden and beautiful.
10. The bicycle ride home is quiet and pretty and right now the jasmine is blooming, so the whole city smells like perfume.
I wish I could bring you there to hear the music. I did a little recording with my camera, but it comes out so tinny – you don’t get the sense of the bass. Enjoy tonight’s slides!